James M. Sanford
James graduated from Capital University Law School in 1986, and began working as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in Franklin County, Ohio.
In 1987, James was hired as an Assistant States Attorney with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. As an Assistant States Attorney, James prosecuted over 60 felony jury trials before transferring to the Civil Division. In that capacity, James defended Cook County Hospital and their physicians in medical malpractice cases.
In 1999, James successfully defended the County of Cook in the largest medical malpractice case tried on behalf of the County of Cook.
James came to James D. Montgomery & Associates, Ltd., in 2002, focusing on medical-malpractice cases. Since that time, James has obtained over 30 million dollars in verdicts and settlements for his clients.
James is licensed in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ohio.
Areas of Practice
- 90% Medical Malpractice
- 10% Trucking/ Auto Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1987
- Wisconsin, 2002
- Ohio, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. - 1986
- Michigan State Law University, East Lansing, Michigan
- B.A. - 1983
- Major: Business Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- I.T.L.A, 2005 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Franklin County, Ohio, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, 1985 - 1987
- Cook County State's Attorney Office, Chicago, IL, Assistant States Attorney, 1987 - 2002
- Phi Gamma Delta