John K. Kennedy
John ("Jack") Kennedy is a partner with the law firm of James D. Montgomery & Associates, Ltd. Jack is passionate about representing victims of catastrophic personal injuries and their families, and has tried numerous cases to verdict. Jack also prosecutes and defends appeals on behalf of the firm's clients in the Illinois Appellate Court, the Illinois Supreme Court, and federal appellate courts.
- Johnson v. City of Chicago, 07-L-8493 (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook Cnty. 2013), 2015 IL App (1st) 140101: Jack secured a $8,500,000 jury verdict in favor of the firm's client whose son was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer. The jury rejected defendants' contention that the victim was pointing a gun at the officer at the time of the shooting. Defendants appealed. But after Jack filed the client's appellate brief, defendants abandoned their own appeal and paid the judgment plus costs and interest.
- Brown v. Whiteline Express, Inc., 09-L-4535 (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook Cnty. 2014): Jack and James M. Sanford obtained a confidential settlement in a truck crash case where the teenage victim died. The case settled right before jury selection.
- Harris v. E & R Towing & Garage, Inc., 09-L-8841 (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook Cnty. 2013): Jack secured a $7,365,000 jury verdict in favor of the firm's client whose husband was killed in an automobile collision on the Dan Ryan Expressway.
- Love v. Shah, M.D., 09-L-8164 (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook Cnty. 2013): Jack and James M. Sanford secured a $2,100,000 verdict in favor of their client who sustained a leg injury after his doctor failed to diagnose a MRSA infection. The doctor's insurance carrier refused to extend any settlement offer before trial.
- Williams v. BNSF Ry. Co., 2015 IL App (1st) 121901-B: Jack successfully defended, against multiple rounds of appeals, a $1,338,480 verdict in favor of the firm's client who sustained a back injury at work.
- Kitchen v. Dallas County, 13-10545 (5th Cir.): On appeal, Jack successfully overturned a judgment entered against the firm's client in a case involving the sudden death of an inmate. The appellate court's opinion has precedential value for future cases because it recognizes that a bystander guard who fails to intervene to prevent another guard's use of excessive force can be held liable even where the plaintiff cannot identify the guard who was responsible for employing excessive force.
Jack has been honored as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers since 2015. In 2014, Jack received the William J. Harte Award from the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association in recognition of his contribution to the Association's amicus curiae committee.
Jack graduated from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law in 2012, cum laude. While in law school, Jack was Notes and Comments Editor of the Chicago-Kent Law Review and a Senior Associate of the Chicago-Kent Moot Court Honor Society. Jack received the Edmund W. Burke Award for Excellence in Forensic Oratory in 2012.
Before joining the firm, Jack served as an extern to the Honorable George W. Lindberg of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Jack received a B.S. in Liberal Arts from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2009, where he studied French and Political Science. He graduated from Oak Park River Forest High School in 2004 after moving to Chicago from his hometown of Melbourne, Australia.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 2012
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 2013
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctor cum laude - 2012
- Law Review: Chicago-Kent Law Review, Editor
- University of Illinois of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S. - 2009
- Major: Liberal Arts
- Major: French and Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Honorable Edmund W. Burke Award for Excellence in Forensic Oratory (2012)
- Chicago-Kent Certificate of Service
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, November 1, 2012 - Present
- National Lawyers Guild - National Police Accountability Project, Member, November 1, 2012 - Present
- Appellate Lawyers Association, Member, November 1, 2015 - Present